28 November 2010

Intersections, or: Of Thanks & Hope

I noticed just how pessimistic, cynical, and arrogant I'm being about the abysmal use of English in my current environs, and that's not how I want to respond to what could otherwise be simply amusing errors that make me smile (taking what "I've seen on Mulberry Street" and enjoying it).
...Oddly, I don't have any English anomalies to report today.



Hwaet!

About two weeks ago, a new friend gave me a sage reminder: "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4) I mulled over this for some time, thinking of just how dependent I am on food for sustenance, and figured it would be good to have a reminder of what really feeds me.
Thanksgiving provided me the perfect opportunity to reflect on what actually nourishes me; so, I spent the day before Turkey Day in prayer and reading Scripture, which was very nourishing. :-) It gave me a chance to look at what  I've been digesting and see how its been at work in me.

So, what have I been "eating" lately? I've been reading the Gospel of John since the beginning of November, and since 15 November, II Kings 15 - 25 and Isaiah 1 - 20 as part of the ESV reading plan (by the way, I'm really liking this plan!).
The sections in II Kings and Isaiah from the Old Testament are really pretty bleak: In the II Kings reading, Israel & Judah are shadows of their former strength, practically already the "remnants" which God says he will restore later, as the Isaiah readings promise. However, the foretold deliverer is a long time off from exiled Israel and Judah, who begin to lose hope that he will ever arrive.
Reading John alongside the OT selections is great, though - because the promised Messiah is being revealed! He has already arrived, and is establishing his kingdom! But, it's not the kingdom the Jewish people were expecting; Jesus doesn't overthrow the Roman Empire and take up David's Throne. He comes in humbly, in the flesh, dwelling among his people and teaching them tenderly like a shepherd. At Urbana '09, we studied John 1-4 and focused on incarnational ministry, ministry "in the flesh" as Jesus exampled for us. So, when I got to John 17:6, where Jesus says "I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world," a lot of things "clicked" for me.
It clicked that why I'm sticking around to minister to students, even though I'm without honour in my hometown is because that's living an incarnational lifestyle, putting "my life" on hold for them.
It clicked that why I'm working a job I'm severely over-qualified for, barely scratching out a living, is because God is using me to show love in the office and to the people we serve.

It clicked that in the face of the many things I'm not happy with, the things I'm dissatisfied with, and don't want to live with, God is using these things to shape me into who he's called me to be so I can better serve him. And that is, truly, an encouraging thought. And something to be Thankful for.
Like exiled Israel, or the Job readings I started today, there is difficulty in life - and there always will be.
However, there is much to be thankful for already, and further-more to anticipate.

I'd meant to post this on Thanksgiving day, but obviously didn't make it. However, this morning at church I was reminded that today is the first Sunday of Advent.
Which is a very fitting time to post such thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Roberto. That was really refreshing and encouraging.
    I needed this.

    God can still do so much wherever we are at.

    <3
    C

    ReplyDelete