05 May 2011

bin Laden and the Bible

Why are people celebrating the death of Osama bin Laden? Given all the media attention his death has received, I don't think I need to mention all the responses out there. I simply submit the following passages that have been coming to my mind as I reflect on my reaction to this news, and ask you to consider how you respond and what passages in the Bible you think of at this time.

I understand fully that it is a good thing for the wicked to be swept away so they can no longer do harm on earth - but the Bible clearly teaches delighting in death is a terrrible, disgusting thing.
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles,
lest the LORD see it and be displeased,
and turn away his anger from him. (Proverbs 24:17-18)
It is better that we be brought to repentance of our sinfulness than that any should perish.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (II Peter 3:9)

Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, declares the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? (Ezekiel 18:23)

While I support the death penalty, I do not think we ought to unilaterally execute it free of the legal system nor take out a vendetta as an elected body of representatives has by ordering an assassination plan that our Presidents supported.
Vengeance is mine, and I will repay (Deuteronomy 32:35)

How are we living? If I, or you, or someone else were to die in 5 minutes, would you go to Heaven or to Hell?
It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. (Hebrews 10:30)

Are we so self-righteous that we think we are better off than bin Laden? It is only by God's supreme grace that anyone is going to Heaven, not Hell.
So if you think you are standing firm, see to it that you do not fall. (I Corinthians 10:12)

No, I think this gives us pause to consider:
Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers. (I Timothy 4:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment