16 November 2014

Let's go to the movies...

Growing up, I loved to emulate my heroes from the movies. I'd imagine I was Davy Crockett, the Lone Ranger, or Luke Skywalker, fighting the bad guys and saving the day. And while that common experience probably says a lot of superficial things about my personality, I've noticed over the last few years that there are some very subtle ways in which I continue to emulate the movies I like. I'm not talking about things like waving my hand like Ben Kenobi when I want to persuade someone, or asking "Do you wanna build a snowman?" in a particular rhythm. No, these are far-more subtle, geeky ticks.

• When driving in rainy conditions in densely-forested areas (okay, so they're usually residential, but with a lot of trees blowing in the wind), if I can't see the road because of the rainfall, I get paranoid about a Dilophasaurus or T-Rex appearing. So I check my rear-view mirrors compulsively.
• (I keep my keys on a carabiner clip on my belt loop.) When I'm wearing a jacket and need to reach for my keys, I slip the hem of my jacket back with a flick of my wrist and grab the keys off the belt loop in one motion, like a gunslinger moving his duster to grab his revolver. I'm your Huckleberry.
• When I'm running late for formal engagements, and need to grab clothes from drawers and put them on with unhesitating precision & speed, I hum the music from Batman Begins when Bruce Wayne is gearing up for the final confrontation. SWEAR TO ME.

And I know there's more, because I've been thinking about writing this post for a while. I may re-visit it later when I remember. But for now, ba-dee, ba-dee, ba-dee, that's all, folks!

Update 23 November 2014 18:23
Star Wars edition
• When wearing gloves, I always put the right one on first, and look quizzically at my hand as I flex it while rotating my wrist. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
•  If I have to pile clothes on the floor (e.g., laundry sorting), I step on the clothes. They have become more powerful than I can possibly imagine.
• When opening doors, I turn my back to them as I pull the handle. There's no such thing as luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment